Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Seeking a refuge from Scrabble.

I needed a healthy outlet for my time and energy.  As a schoolteacher, I am blessed with long vacations and summers off, but unfortunately I have misspent my free time.  You see, I am a Scrabble addict.  Specifically, I get obsessed with playing games on the Internet Scrabble Club site.  You may have played Scrabble--it's the crossword game where you make words that link with other words. It is very fun, and I am pretty good at it.  But what I really like is the adrenaline rush, you see, I play games where each player only gets 3 minutes for the whole game.  As a result I can play LOTS of games in a short space of time.  During the period from June through late August 2010, I played over 1100 games.  Since 2003 I've played over 11,000 games.  I estimate that this adds up to about two full months of my life spent playing Scrabble.


I had some high points this summer--my fifth game of 500 or more points, a "bingo" (seven letter word) of 216 points ("quizzers"), and establishing a personal record rating of 1520.  But unfortunately the game kind of took over.  For weeks I dreamed of playing Scrabble.  Whenever I had a spare moment I ran to the computer to get the rush of playing a fast game.  Ultimately, I realized I had a problem.


That's when my wife suggested that as a substitute for Scrabble I could try blogging.  At first I thought "what do I have to write about, that anyone would be interested in?"  But then I figured it was worth a shot.  I am interested in some esoteric topics, and I'll write about all of them on this site.  Some examples include (in alphabetical order):


  • Baseball
  • Guitar
  • Media Criticism
  • Movies and TV  
  • Music
  • Politics
  • Professional Wrestling
I'll also review and link to articles and blogs that I find in my perambulations on the web, and hopefully spark discussions about topics of mutual interest.


I hope you find this interesting.  And now, on with the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment